It’s that exciting time again – a new Novlr release. We’ve been working hard and we’ve got some exciting things to show for it. If you can’t wait as I go through them one by one, jump to the release notes at the bottom of the page. And don’t forget the amazing Lifetime heroes; who made this release possible.
Make notes, store ideas, build backgrounds
You’ve all been asking (rightly) for somewhere to write things that shouldn’t count towards the word count. Whether it’s making notes, ideas for later or whatever, you will now find a Notes tab in your chapter sidebar which you can fill to your heart’s content without it impacting on your word count. You’ve got one of these per novel.
We like stripping away distraction – that’s partly what Novlr was about in the first place – a beautiful writing space to let you focus. Well we’ve now added in the option to let you get even more focus. In Settings, you can now select Focus mode and then when you are typing the header and the toolbar at the bottom will fade away and it will be just you and your words. Only if you have your chapter sidebar closed.
Import a novel *beta
Sometimes you’re not starting a novel from scratch, you’ll have written some of it in a Word doc or a Google doc, or even in something like Scrivener, but now you’re using Novlr – you want all your novels in the same place. Well we’ve made that a bit easier. You can now import chapters simply including: .rtf, .docx, .txt and .odt. It’s hefty functionality, so we’d love you to all test it and see if you can break it for us 🙂
There is a bug we’ve already noticed – but thought we’d let you get your hands on it sooner rather than later. So text formatting in .odt isn’t perfect – sorry.
So you’ve never used underline
With this release we’re also starting to let you customise Novlr a little – not too much (as we’ve spent a lot of time designing it a particular way!) – but if you’re someone who is never going to use underline, you can remove it from your toolbar altogether. Or you can have paragraph indents or a larger font size. Go wild!
There’s more too – but you’ve had enough to digest – get back to writing!
Novlr 0.2.2 Release Notes
- Importing: import your work from .docx .rtf .txt and .odt straight into Novlr
- Split chapter: split your chapter at ny point to create a new one (useful if importing full novel into a chapter)
- Notes: Notes section that doesn’t count towards your word count
- Writing preferences: Customise Novlr to the way you work
- Focus mode option: Fade out the application toolbars when writing to remove distractions
- Tweak to chapter sidebar design (useability)
- Inceased font size in settings (useability)
- Added hover on elements (useability)
- Tweak the way word stats show in the bottom right of editor (useability)
- Statistics adding 000s to total on a few accounts
- GDrive not syncing daily
- Extra linebreaks on .docx export
- Chapter select not working if clicking above the chapter title
Lifetime Heroes that helped fund this release
Anna Lishman · Melanie Cotter · Jack Regnart · Travis Starnes · Ben Zuffi · Derek Ardolf · Steve Grant · Jim McNelis · Teresa Horne · Faraz Hasan · Dave Floyd · Lou Yardley · Katarina Skarbinec · Louise Holt